Position: Director of Events and Development Manager
The Director of Events and Development Manager is responsible for planning and organizing events and meetings for the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, including an annual gala and annual conference (both held in Washington, DC), regional conferences in locations throughout the United States, and special events throughout the year. The Director of Events and Development Manager is also responsible for supporting the CEO’s fundraising activities and is responsible for expanding and diversifying the organization’s funder base.
Reporting Relationships: This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Supervisory Relationships: In conjunction with the Marketing and Communications Manager, this position supervises the Staff Associate.
- Work with committees to develop a program for Alliance events including speakers, topics and schedules.
- Communicate with speakers regarding their commitment to the event and their needs related to attending the event (e.g. A/V, reimbursement, handouts, bios, etc.).
- Develop and monitor timelines related to all aspects of events, ensuring that information is communicated with relevant staff, event committees and consultants.
- Manage and work with appropriate staff to evaluate all events, ensuring continual improvement and quality customer service.
- Provide any follow‐up to the events such as thank‐you letters to speakers, vendors, sponsors and volunteers, as needed.
- Research and evaluate potential event locations, including site visits.
- Negotiate contracts and evaluate options with a variety of vendors for events; arrange for all related services, including caterers, audio‐visual needs, buses, signage, and entertainment.
- Work with Marketing and Communications Manager to develop registration plan, promotional schedule and materials for events.
- Draft content for annual conference website and program binder.
- Oversee the cultivation, growth and management of individual donors, foundations and corporate donors.
- Develop and implement an organizational plan to identify, recruit, cultivate and maintain portfolio of individual donors.
- Create and implement strategies to increase donations from individual donors—both current donors and prospective major donors.
- Work closely with Board and CEO to acquire new major donors and cultivate existing ones.
- Maintain on-going donor stewardship and acknowledgement systems with current and potential donors.
- Identify potential private and public foundations, and governmental funding sources to support and expand the organization’s programs.
- Draft and submit grant applications and contracts.
- Submit required reports to funders.
- With support from Marketing and Communications staff, develop direct mail appeals and related email campaigns at least three times annually.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Four years’ professional experience in events management or related field is required.
- Ability to develop professional relationships in all aspects of the position that result in stable, consistent, reliable and courteous communication.
- Ability to solve problems and work independently in a changing and multitasking environment with numerous deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, planning and project management skills.
- Proven ability to take direction and input, and to develop effective and engaging branded events that will achieve the organization’s goals.
- Ability to influence and coordinate the efforts of other team members in support of events.
- Ability to present and pitch ideas effectively.
- Effective time management, organizational and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate budgets and effectively manage expenses.
- Demonstrated accuracy and thoroughness.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Wednesday, September 19, 2012. No phone calls, please.